The largest variety of composite prepregs ◾ in stock & available in small quantities!
Rock West Composites stocks more than 20 styles of prepregs including our new line of PROPreg™ proprietary composite prepreg materials. Regardless of the application or budget, you’re bound to find an ideal combination of materials for your project. Perhaps it’s a NASA-approved resin system offering low outgassing properties coupled with toughening additives. Or maybe you’re looking for naturally-grown, flax fibers coupled with a biologically-based epoxy resin system. Even if you’re an engineering department in an academic setting that requires high quality materials for a lower price, Rock West’s ProPreg is an ideal solution.
You’ll be blown away the variety and the properties that will help you make your ideas a reality. Additionally, we offer decades of processing expertise and know-how, should you need some additional advice and assistance when it comes to prepreg processing or prepreg applications.
Most prepregs are intended for frozen storage and have a 30 day "out-life" if stored at room temperature. If you are interested in a room temperature storage prepreg that would last up to 12 months at 72 F please contact us!
LEARN MORE ABOUT PREPREG
WHAT IS PREPREG?
Prepreg is a term assigned to various base materials (carbon, fiberglass, kevlar, etc.) that have been "pre-impregnated" with a resin system, typically an epoxy-based system. Prepregs are most commonly tacky to the touch, like the back of masking tape. They provide great benefit in processing as the resin content is highly controlled, and the application is generally very clean, requiring little to no cleanup, unlike more commonly known "wet-layups."
HOW DO I STORE PREPREG?
Since the majority of resin systems are designed to be heat activated, our prepregs require storage at or below freezing temps in order to lengthen the materials' work life. Aerospace-grade prepregs are generally rated for up to 30 days "out-life" at room temperature. Because of this, we require Next Day Air shipping on all prepreg orders.
HOW DO I PROCESS PREPREG?
- HEAT - Most of our epoxy systems are considered "250F" systems. Meaning they are engineered to cure at ~250°F for up to 3 hours, sometimes 4. Each prepreg listed has specific cure temperatures (profile) related to the formulated resin system with which it has been impregnated.
- PRESSURE - Can be applied any number of ways including but not limited to autoclave, press, vacuum, and compaction tapes. Since most shops do not have access to an autoclave or heated press, the latter two options are mostly used for smaller operations.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE A PART?
It depends on what kind of tools and materials you have already at your disposal. Most new DIY'ers will need at least the following:
- An oven large enough to contain the part and capable of up to 250°F
- A mold that is used to create the needed shape and is capable of withstanding the required processing heat and pressure
- Vacuum bagging materials including the following:
- Vacuum bag
- Peel ply
- Vacuum pump (or venturi vacuum generator)
- Chromate / Sealant tape
Prepreg - Carbon Fiber (Toho Tenax HTS40 E13 3K) - 50" Wide X 0.008" Thick - Standard Modulus 3K Plain Weave (305 gsm OAW) - 250F Resin (Cytec MTM45-1) ~ 610 sqft rollSku: 14069-D-FULLROLL
Regular Price: $5,138.64
Special Price $1,500.001
3 in stock